Bad lighting can date a house. Fortunately, lighting is something that can be updated with a quick weekend project, and you don’t have to spend a lot of money to do it. Lighting can also be the item that comes at the end of a remodel when money is tight and you need some less expensive, stylish options. Here are 10 companies providing bright and functional lighting at reasonable prices
1. Schoolhouse Electric: What began as a lighting company has turned into a great housewares brand, but their lighting is always what I come back to for classic, retro styles in every type of light, from pendants and sconces to table lamps. Custom options are available as well.
2. CB2: The lower priced sister of Crate and Barrel has the trendiest styles for a fraction of the cost. You can easily find a great low price match to a higher priced item here.
3. IKEA: I don’t know of any place that can beat IKEA’s lighting prices. For $5 you can get a Scandi designed table lamp that emits a nice mood light. Their paper lantern shades are a classic too.
4. JCP: The new Jonathan Adler, Martha Stewart, and Conran home collections for JC Penny have revived this once stale brand.
5. Urban Outfitters: You may only know Urban Outfitters for their clothing and quirky gifts, but they have been steadily adding to their homeware range and now have a wide range of lighting no longer just focused on pink flamingo string lights.
6. Habitat: For UK readers, Habitat can’t be beat as a step up from IKEA in the lighting department, with lights inspired by iconic designs such as Anglepoise and Jielde.
7. Dyke and Dean: Another pick for the UK audience, Dyke and Dean is a pick ‘n mix lighting concept shop, so that you can go as bare bones cheap or add on all the goodies to create your dream light.
8. Lamps Plus Open Box: The online outlet for Lamps Plus features items that have been returned nationwide to Lamps Plus, with stock turning over constantly and rock bottom prices due to the open box nature of the items. You can even return purchases, which is rare with such deep discounts. Brands include Kichler, Possini, and Arteriors Home.
9. NUD Collection: The place for bare bulb pendants in your pick of cord color and numerous bulb options.
10. Urban Cottage Industries: Another UK pick n mix light supply store, with enamel shades that will work in any country regardless of voltage required.